Last revised: January 7, 2019
Upboiz (“us”, “we”, or “our”) operates the UPdate mobile application (the “Service” and “App”).
The terms “You” and “User” shall mean any registrant to the Service
This page informs you of our policies regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of personal data when you use our Service and the choices you have associated with that data.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE – used to access network information in accordance with the succeeding permission.
- INTERNET – used to connect to the Internet in order to access the Service, as well as to serve ads.
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE – used to upload pictures from your device.
- WAKE_LOCK – used to prevent the screen from sleeping during an ad.
- c2dm.permission.RECEIVE – used to push notifications from the cloud to the device.
The app asks permission to send push notifications. The app is permitted to access the photo library in order to upload pictures from your device.
2. Collection of Information
When you download the App and create an account, we collect the following information from you:
- University email address
- Gender identity
- Sexual preference
- Profile pictures
- University, and if applicable, unit or campus
You will also be required to create a password in connection with the registration of your Account. Once you register, you will be able to review and change this information at any time by accessing your “Profile” page. You control your user profile and are able to correct or update (other than your email address, username, birthdate, and campus) your information at any time. You have the right to request for changes to the information you can’t change withint the app after profile setup by contacting us directly. The university email address is required to verify that you are a university student eligible for registration. The rest of the mentioned information are used for the profile itself. The information we collect helps us enhance our app and verify our users.
When you post public information about yourself (such as your bio, course, and pictures) as well as in the messaging service and Anonchat, the amount and content of personal information you share is at your own risk such that we hold no responsibility for its consequences and effects. If you share or post any content that violates our Terms and Conditions of Use, we reserve the right to terminate your account with or without notice.
We reserve no right to reuse or redistribute the content (such as, with limitation, pictures and other non-textual media files) you share on the service in any way. By agreeing to this policy, we reserve the right to store the content you intend to share as part of the operation of the Service, and will continue to be stored internally regardless of the content’s visibility, the content’s deletion state, or your account’s deletion state. You have the right to request for your content to be permanently properly disposed internally upon account deletion. No content is shared with any third-party entities.
Log and Usage Data
Our servers automatically record information (“Log and Usage Data”) created by your use of the Service, which helps us to improve our service. This data may include information such as your IP address, browser type, the referring domain, pages visited, access times, app activity, device hardware information, and interactions with advertisements.
We collect information from and about the device(s) you use to access our services, including:
- Hardware and software information including but not limited to: IP addresses, device ID and type, software version, app crashes, advertising IDs, browser type, version and language, operating system.
This helps us target push notifications to the right user(s) and track down issues swiftly with respect to the user’s device environment.
The app uses third-party services that may collect information used to identify you.
We want to inform users of this Service that these third parties have access to your Personal Information. The reason is to perform the tasks assigned to them on our behalf. However, they are obligated not to disclose or use the information for any other purpose.
3. Use of Information
The main reason your information is used is to provide a better experience (and an enjoyable one) for you. We may use your information to:
- Create and administer your account
- Communicate with you information about the App (e.g., updates and new features)
- Connect you with other users of the App
- To serve you relevant ads*
- Conduct analytics and internal experiments to improve our service**
**No data is disclosed to other third-party services and affiliates. Analytics and internal experiments are performed only by and within Upboiz.
4. Sharing of Information
In pursuance to our goal of helping you of building meaningful relationships, the main sharing of users’ information is through interaction with other users. Your information may be shared through the following:
- Public profile information.
- Any private information you intend to share at your own discretion through the use of any messaging service.
5. Disclosure Of Data
We may disclose your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- To comply with a legal obligation
- To protect and defend the rights or property of Upboiz
- To prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service
- To protect the personal safety of users of the Service or the public
- To protect against legal liability
We value your trust in providing us with your Personal Information, thus we are striving to use commercially acceptable means of protecting it. But remember that no method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure and reliable, and we cannot guarantee its absolute security. In an event of a breach, we will notify all users immediately and execute security measures to prevent further damage.
7. Links to Other Sites
8. Changes to this Policy